Butter Pecan Cake
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped, divided
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Cake: Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; stir in pecans and
bake for 10 minutes; cool.
- Cream softened butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating
until light and fluffy and sugar is dissolved.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately
with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla extract and 1 cup pecans, reserving remaining pecans for
Butter Pecan Frosting. Pour batter into prepared 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool layers in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely.
- Spread top and sides of cooled cake with Butter Pecan Frosting.
- Butter Pecan Frosting: Cream butter; add sugar, milk and vanilla extract,
beating until light and fluffy. Stir in 1/2 cup toasted pecans.
Yield: one 2-layer cake; enough frosting for one 2-layer cake