- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped semisweet chocolate (optional)
- Fresh berries for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan and set
- Cake: In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar on medium speed until
thick, about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold in flour and butter; pour into reserved pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake feels firm when touched in center.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Ricotta Filling: In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat whipping cream until
stiff peaks form, about 90 seconds. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla extract on medium
speed until light, about 3 minutes.
- Fold in reserved whipped cream and chocolate
- Cut cooled cake in half horizontally using a sharp serrated knife. Cut each layer
in half again horizontally, forming four, thin round layers. Place 1 layer on serving
platter; spread with one-third of filling. Repeat procedure, ending with cake layer.
- Whipped Cream Frosting: In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat cream on high speed to soft
peaks, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract; beat just enough to
- Frost sides and top of cake with all but 1 cup of frosting.
- Decorate top of cake with remaining frosting and garnish with chopped chocolate and fruit, if
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Source: Sargento Foods, Inc.