- 2 2/3 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup champagne
Champagne Buttercream Filling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon champagne
- Tint of red food coloring (just to make pink)
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Cake: Resift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Cream shortening with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat egg white until stiff. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, continuing
to beat to a stiff meringue.
- Fold about half the meringue into the batter, mixing thoroughly with wire whip.
- Gently fold in remaining meringue.
- Turn into 2 greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, just until cake tests done.
- Let stand 10 minutes then turn out on wire racks to cool.
- Champagne Buttercream Filling: Beat shortening and butter until combined.
- Add champagne and food coloring and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar. Thin if needed with additional drops of
champagne until consistency for spreading.
- Frost the cake when it is completely cool.
- Decorate with flowers.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.