Cherry Almond Cake
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a deep 8-inch round cake pan, line bottom with paper and grease again.
- Pat maraschino cherries dry.
- Combine flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.
- Add cherries and toss until pieces are well coated; reserve.
- Beat butter, almond extract and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in dry ingredient and cherry mixture in 3 additions, alternately with
sour cream. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake out and cool completely. Serve with custard sauce.
- Custard Sauce: Heat 1 cup milk and 1 cup 10% cream, without boiling.
- Beat 6 egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar; stir in milk gradually.
- In a saucepan,
cook over medium heat without boiling until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Serve cold.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine April 27, 2001.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes