Cherry Marzipan Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) red glace or maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) almond extract
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 cup 10% cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pan. Line bottom with wax paper and
- Dry cherries a bit with paper towel.
- On long sheet of wax paper, combine flour, almonds, baking powder and salt.
- Add cherries and toss until pieces are well coated; set aside.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- Using an electric mixer or food processor, beat butter, almond extract and
sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in dry ingredients and cherry mixture in three additions, alternately
with sour cream.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Place on wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake onto rack and cool completely.
- Garnish with icing sugar and cherries on the top.
- Sauce: In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar until well blended.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and cream, without boiling.
- Stir milk mixture gradually into the yolks.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat,
without boiling, until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Let cool and serve over cake.