Chocolate Applesauce Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cream shortening with sugar until light and fluffy. Continue creaming while
adding honey in a fine stream.
- Add vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time,
beating after each addition.
- In a saucepan, combine applesauce, 1/4 cup honey and chocolate pieces. Heat
slowly until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Let cool.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add alternately to creamed mixture with chocolate-applesauce mixture. Beat
after each addition until smooth.
- Spoon into two 9-inch greased pans.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cakes test done in center.
- Cool on racks for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans. Finish cooling on racks before frosting as desired.
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 9/20/2001 7:16 am.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes