Chocolate Celebration Cake
This is purported to be very similar to P. F. Chang's Great Wall of Chocolate Cake.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups milk
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter two 9-inch round cake pans.
Line the bottoms of the pans with circles of baking parchment or wax paper.
Dust the sides of the pans with flour and tap out the excess.
- Cake: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes,
or until melted, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Set the chocolate aside to cool to room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter
and sugar until combined.
- Beat in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
- One at a time, add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and milk in thirds, beating until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center
of each layer comes out clean.
- Transfer the pans to a wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cake layers onto the rack and cool completely.
- Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread frosting over the cake and top
with the second cake layer.
- Frost the outside of the cake, then the top.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting: Place the chocolate in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream, raspberry jam, butter and salt just to a
boil. Pour over the chocolate and let it stand for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth,
then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the frosting thicken overnight at room temperature
or refrigerate it for no longer than 1 1/2 hours.
Cake serves 12; about 2 cups frosting
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes