Chocolate Eggnog Layer Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa plus about 3 tablespoons extra set aside for the pans
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy eggnog
Chocolate Eggnog Icing
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup dairy eggnog
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Cake: Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and set oven rack at upper middle level. Lightly
grease two 9-inch springform pans. Dust pans with the extra cocoa and shake
- Beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating
well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and coffee.
- Add vanilla extract to eggnog. Beat flour mixture and eggnog mixture into
chocolate mixture a little bit at a time, alternating between the two until
both are completely incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat again,
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake in the middle of the
oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in
the center. Cake will look almost black and very glossy.
- Remove pans from oven and allow to cool on wire racks for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove cake from pans and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Chocolate Eggnog Icing: Sift together the cocoa and confectioners' sugar.
DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or you will end up with lumps in the icing. Set aside.
- Cream together all other ingredients. Add cocoa mixture a little at a time.
Beat on highest mixer setting for several minutes, pausing to scrape down sides
of bowl occasionally. Ice the cake and serve.
Cake serves 12 to 16; enough frosting to generously frost two 9-inch or 10-inch
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes