Chocolate-Frosted Orange Bon Bon Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Juice of 1 medium-size orange
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whipping cream, scalded
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Cake: Combine shortening, salt and grated orange rind. Add sugar gradually
and cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly
after each addition. Add baking powder to flour and sift 3 times.
- Combine orange juice and lemon juice in a 1-cup measure; add water to make
- In small batches, add flour to creamed mixture, alternating with fruit juice
mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Frosting: Let orange peel stand in orange juice for 10 minutes, then strain.
- Cream shortening, butter and salt together. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually,
creaming until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate and blend. Add remaining
sugar, alternating with orange juice mixture; beat until smooth. Add just enough
cream to make a good spreading consistency, beating well.
Makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of two 9-inch layers.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.