Chocolate Kraut Cake
This is a good moist cake and travels well. It can be made a week or two ahead
of time and stored in the freezer. They'll think the sauerkraut is coconut.
- 1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- Rinse sauerkraut well with cold water; drain, then put into blender and
chop fine. Set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar; add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with buttermilk. Add sauerkraut
and mix well. Lastly, fold in boiling water.
- Bake in a greased and floured 13 x 9-inch pan at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes.
- Ice with your favorite chocolate icing.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes