Chunky Apple Spice Cake with
Vanilla Butter Sauce
Just like Grandma used to make, our apple cake gets great spice flavor from pumpkin or apple pie spice. The Vanilla Butter Sauce poured over the cake is scrumptious.
Apple Spice Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Allspice, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples, (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Vanilla Butter Sauce
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cake: Mix flour, pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice, allspice
and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer on medium speed 5 minutes
or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract on low speed just until blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in apples, raisins and walnuts.
- Spread evenly in greased 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Butter Sauce.
Vanilla Butter Sauce: Bring sugar, butter and cream to boil in 2-quart
saucepan on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until slightly
thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract. Serve warm over cake.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 40 min | Yield: 10 servings
For best results, use Gala, Granny Smith or Braeburn apples. The cake and sauce
can be prepared and refrigerated separately the day before. Warm the cake in the
oven, and the sauce on top of the stove before serving.
Nutritional information (amount per serving) Calories: 427 Sodium: 280mg
Fat: 27g Carbohydrates: 42g Cholesterol: 27mg Protein: 4g Fiber: 2g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes