- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold water
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar or honey
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Set oven rack in the center of oven and heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt very well directly in an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. Be sure these ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Make three depressions in the dry ingredients. Into one pour the oil.
- In the second add the vinegar.
- In the third add the vanilla extract.
- Pour cold water over all. Stir all the ingredients together with a fork until nicely blended, but
do not beat.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. If necessary, thin with milk and beat until smooth. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Spread cooled cake with frosting, cut into squares, and set on a serving platter.
Yield: 9 squares
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.