Decadent Fudge Cake with Bourbon-Apricot
Filling and Chocolate Ganache
A moist and rich chocolate masterpiece! This is the perfect birthday cake for a chocolate lover. The chocolate filling combines chopped apricots in a fruit filling that is topped with a decadent chocolate ganache garnished with apricot fans.
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa (for dusting)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2/3 cup bourbon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 12 dried apricots
- Slivered almonds
- Cake: Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Tightly wrap outside bottom of
and side of 9-inch springform pan with 2 pieces of foil to prevent leakage.
Grease springform pan and dust with cocoa.
- Combine morsels, butter and sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook, stirring
constantly, until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in eggs and vanilla
extract. Stir in cocoa and flour. Spoon into prepared springform pan. Place
springform pan in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with hot water to 1-inch
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until cake is set.
- Remove springform pan from water bath to wire rack. Cool completely. Run
knife around edge of cake.
- Filling: Combine apricots, bourbon, sugar, water and lemon juice in
small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook for 20 minutes,
stirring frequently, until liquid is evaporated. Cool completely. Spread over
top of cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Ganache: Heat cream in small saucepan over medium-high heat to boiling.
Remove from heat. Add morsels and corn syrup without stirring.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Add butter; stir until smooth.
Place cake on wire rack over a baking sheet. Pour ganache over top and sides
of cake to cover completely, saving a small amount of ganache for garnish. Reheat
ganache if necessary to pouring consistency. (Ganache must be warm to pour evenly
over cake. Do not spread ganache with knife, as it will leave marks.) Refrigerate
for 1 hour or until ganache is set. Transfer to serving platter.
- Decoration: Cut apricots into fans by cutting slices 3/4 of the way through. Dip cut
ends in ganache. Place around top edge of cake. Arrange 2 almonds in V-shape
at base of each apricot. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Allow cake to stand at room temperature before serving.
Prep Time: 1 hr | Cooking Time: 1 hr 5 min | 12 servings
This 1st Prize winning recipe was designed and created by Julie Nealey of Edmonds,
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Nestlé and meals.com
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes