Devil's Food Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, margarine or Crisco
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Mix sugar, cocoa and shortening; add egg and vanilla extract. Beat with
mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix alternately
with buttermilk to the above mixture. Beat for about 2 minutes more or until
creamy and smooth. Pour into greased and floured 13 x 9-inch oblong cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- When cool, top with favorite icing.