Fiery Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Baking spray with flour
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the sugar and the butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended
(about 5 minutes). Add egg, beating well. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring
cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (flour through salt), stirring
well with a whisk.
- Combine milk and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture
alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with baking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack, remove from pan. Cool cake completely
on wire rack.
- Place chips in a small heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Submerge
bag in very hot water until chips melt, or microwave on HIGH for 1 minute or
until melted. Snip a tiny hole in one corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)