George Washington Cake
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups peeled, sliced apples
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cake: Beat eggs until thick and light.
- Combine sugar and oil at medium speed.
- Mix cinnamon with flour. Add to egg mixture.
- Add vanilla extract and walnuts. Mix all together.
- Distribute sliced apples evenly in bottom of long 2 or 3-quart baking dish.
Spread batter evenly over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees F from 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Watch cake and do not
- Icing: Mix cream cheese until fluffy, add butter and mix.
- Add sugar, then lemon juice. Mix all together well.
- Spread over cool cake.
- Slice apples thin with peeling on. Dip into lemon juice. Arrange in rows
on top of iced cake.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/5/01 8:25:21 pm.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes