Ghirardelli Devil's Food Cake with
Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces (1 baking bar) Ghirardelli Unsweetened Chocolate, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons granulated instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 cusp confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the bottoms of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans and line with wax
- Batter: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground chocolate, granulated
sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add 1 cup of the buttermilk and
the butter. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of buttermilk, the eggs, and the vanilla extract.
Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into
the cake's center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the pans, discard the wax paper, and transfer them to
the wire rack to cool completely.
- Frosting: Melt the chocolate pieces in a double boiler over
hot, but not boiling, water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is smooth.
Dissolve the instant coffee granules in the boiling water. Stir the coffee mixture
into the chocolate, remove from the heat, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Gradually add the
confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth. Add
the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Frost the cake.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine April 2001
Source: Ghirardelli Web Site