Gingerbread Cake with Pudding Sauce
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum or brandy extract
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- Cake: Cream sugar and butter; add boiling water.
- Add eggs; whip up well.
- Add molasses, salt, flour, baking soda and spices.
- Bake in an 8-inch square pan at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with ice cream or Pudding Sauce.
- Pudding Sauce: Melt butter; add cornstarch and blend.
- Add sugar and boiling water. Cook until no taste of starch remains.
- Remove from heat and add extract.