Gooey Almond Cake
This cake is dense, chewy and delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In large bowl, combine the 1 1/2 cups sugar and butter; stir until blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir in almond extract,
vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle almonds and the 2 teaspoons sugar over batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool slightly in pan.
- Leave cake in skillet.
- When cool, wrap and deliver.
For gift idea, bake the cake in 2 (6- or 7-inch) ovenproof skillets
lined with foil or coat glass or glass ceramic skillets with nonstick cooking
spray. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Source: The Passion of Cooking by Karen M. Page.