Green Tomato Cake
- 4 cups chopped green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let
stand 10 minutes.
- Place in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat until creamy.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.
- Add drained tomatoes and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into cake comes