As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 (1 ounce) squares semisweet baking chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate bits
- Cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a jellyroll pan with wax paper; grease.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together twice; set aside.
- Place eggs in small mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer 5 minutes or until
thick and lemon-colored. Slowly beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mixture
will become very thick. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Beat in water and vanilla
extract. Slowly add flour mixture; beat until smooth. Pour into prepared pan,
spreading evenly to corners.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Loosen from pan. Turn out on rack; remove wax paper. Invert; cool completely.
- Filling: Combine baking chocolate, broken into pieces, and cream in heavy
saucepan. Heat slowly; stirring constantly, until chocolate melts. Transfer
to medium-size mixing bowl. Stir in rum; chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Beat with electric mixer until stiff and thick.
- Cut cake in half crosswise. Place 1 piece of cake on small cookie sheet.
Top with chocolate filling; spread to form even layer 1 1/2 inches thick. Top
with remaining cake layer. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Icing: Combine corn syrup, water and butter in small saucepan. Bring
to boil; cook until butter melts. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate bits; stir until chocolate melts. Cool at room temperature.
Spread over top of cake. Chill until frosting sets.
- Cut cake into 12 squares; arrange on decorative plate.
Source: Whitman's Chocolate Cookbook
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes