Halekulani Coconut Cake
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 7 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 egg whites
- 1 pint whipped cream
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Freshly grated coconut
- Cake: Sift together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat together egg yolks, cooking oil, water and vanilla extract with wire
- ix egg mixture into dry ingredients and blend well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and in peaks. Fold into other mixture.
- Line cake pans with paper. turn batter into cake pans and bake at 325 degrees
F to 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not over-bake.
- Use whipped cream for filling and frosting.
- Sprinkle coconut between and on top and sides of cake.
- Filling: Whip the cream and add the sugar.
- Fill between layers and sprinkle with coconut.
- Frost top and sides and sprinkle with coconut.
- Keep in refrigerator.