Hershey's Red Velvet Sheet Cake
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 2 tablespoons (one 1-ounce bottle) red food color
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 (16 ounce) can ready-to-spread vanilla frosting
- HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips (optional)
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13 x 9-inch baking pan.**
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla extract, beating
- Stir together buttermilk and food color.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with
buttermilk mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Frost; garnish with chocolate chips, if desired.
Yield: 15 servings
** Cake can also be baked in two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center
comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely. Frost as desired.
Variation: For Heart Shapes: Using open-topped heart-shaped cookie cutter (at
least 1 1/2 inches deep and 3 inches wide), cut cake into 12 hearts. Frost and decorate
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes