Honey Butter Carrot Cake with Toasted
Pecans and Citrus Cream Cheese Icing
- Butter or nonstick spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove or allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups finely grated carrot
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 1 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces regular cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange, lemon or lime zest (or a mixture of all three)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 to 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9-inch layer pans or coat with nonstick
spray; line bottom with circle of parchment or wax paper.
- Stir flour with baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter until lighter in
color and slightly fluffy.
- Slowly beat in honey, then eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, stirring until just absorbed.
- Stir in carrots, apple and pecans. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops.
- Bake in center of oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted
into cake center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes; then turn out to finish cooling on rack.
- To make icing, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually beat in butter, then honey, zest and lemon juice.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar until thick enough for spreading.
- Spread between stacked layers, then over sides and top.
- Sprinkle with any extra zest or chopped pecans.