Iowa Applesauce Cake
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Cake: In a large mixing bowl, beat butter or margarine for 30 seconds.
- Add both sugars and egg; beat until combined.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- Add flour mixture alternately with applesauce to butter mixture.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted
near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat together cream cheese, softened butter or margarine
and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar.
- Beat in remaining 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups confectioners'
sugar to make a spreadable frosting. Spread on cake.
- For a decorative finish, set a doily lightly on frosted cake and sprinkle
lightly with a mixture of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Carefully remove the doily.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes