Jam-Filled Carrot Cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberry, apricot or raspberry jam
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, and line
with greased wax paper.
- Cream together egg yolks and about 1 cup of the sugar until the yolk color
- Stir in carrots, nuts, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla
extract, salt and oil.
- Mix together hot water and soda and stir into flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar. Beat until stiff
- Fold egg white mixture into flour mixture.
- Turn mixture into prepared pan, and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Cool.
- Slice in half horizontally, to form two layers.
- Filling: Soften cream cheese and beat in the sugar, mixing gradually, until
the filling is smooth and fluffy. A food processor works well for this.
- Cover bottom layer with cream cheese filling, then cover cream cheese layer
- Place the top layer of the cake carefully on top of the jam.
- Frosting: Beat whipping cream until slightly stiff, then add the sugar and
beat the mixture to stiff peaks.
- Frost the entire cake with whipped cream.