Old-Fashioned Apple Cake
with Hot Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cup finely chopped cooking apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Hot Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter.
- Add the sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat until well blended.
- Mix in the baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Add the flour and stir just until blended.
- Stir in the apples and nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until the top springs
back when touched lightly with your finger.
- Serve with Hot Caramel Sauce.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract and milk.
- Serve warm sauce over cake.