Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cake
This delicious oatmeal cake topped with a coconut and nuts mixture is perfect for anytime dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In small bowl, mix oats and boiling water; let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch pan with
shortening or cooking spray; lightly flour.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup
butter with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping
- Beat in vanilla extract and eggs.
- Beat in oat mixture and remaining cake ingredients until well blended,
scraping bowl occasionally.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Set oven control to broil. In small bowl, beat 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4
cup butter and the half-and-half with electric mixer on high speed until smooth.
- Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Spoon over warm cake; spread to cover.
- Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbly and light golden brown.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 47 min
Total time: 1 hr 12 min | Yield: 16 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes