Pineapple Butternut Cake
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons butternut flavoring
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butternut flavoring
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- Cake: Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition.
- Add milk and flavoring.
- Mix in dry ingredients. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes in 2 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Filling: Cook the first 5 ingredients until thick.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Spread filling between layers, then ice entire cake.