Puerto Rican Coconut Cake
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk or sweet milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter. Add 1 cup of the sugar and cream well.
- Combine coconut milk or sweet milk and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning
and ending with dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Fold beaten whites into the batter carefully.
- Bake in 2 (9-inch) layer pans at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Frost with Favorite
Seven-Minute Frosting or with any other Seven-Minute Frosting and sprinkle