Queen Elizabeth Cake
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter or shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Cake: Add the baking soda to the dates and pour the boiling water over them.
Set aside to cool. cream shortening. Add sugar and blend well. Beat in the egg
and vanilla extract.
- Mix and sift the flour, baking powder and salt and add alternately to the
creamed ingredients with the cooled date mixture and nuts.
- Bake in a greased 12 x 9-inch pan at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Prepare icing.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and spread icing over hot cake.
- Return to oven until icing is golden brown.
- Icing: Mix in a small pan and boil for three minutes. Pour and spread over
cake. Return cake to oven for a few minutes.