- 1 cup raisins
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Cook raisins in water for 20 minutes. Drain off liquid, reserving 1 cup.
To the warm liquid add oil and baking soda. Stir to dissolve.
- Sift dry ingredients together; add oil mixture, nuts and cooked raisins
and blend well.
- Bake in greased and floured 8-inch square cake pan at 375 degrees F for
35 to 40 minutes. Use cake tester to check for doneness.
- Remove cake from pan when slightly cool.
- Cool completely and frost cake with
Icing or Penuche