Raspberry Batter Cake
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or blueberries, washed and dried
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
- Pour berries into prepared pan. Sprinkle berries with lemon juice.
- In bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the sugar and butter.
- In second bowl, combine
flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and mix well.
add flour mixture and milk to sugar/butter mixture. Spread batter over berries.
- Make topping by combining remaining 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and remaining
1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well, then sprinkle mixture evenly over batter in pan.
- Pour boiling water over all.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted into top part of cake near
center comes out clean, or when center springs back when pressed lightly with
finger. Top of cake will be light brown.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Yield: about 9 servings