Raspberry Lime Rickey Cake
A moist golden cake, brushed with an assertive lime syrup. This lime cake, with its raspberry topping, is a tribute to the drink made famous by New England's Friendly's and Brigham's ice cream chains.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened or room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- Finely grated rind of 2 limes; 1 to 2 tablespoons, lightly packed, or 1/2 teaspoon lime oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2/3 cup sugar, superfine preferred; Baker's Special Sugar is a good choice here
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups raspberries; frozen are fine
- 1 tablespoon Pie Filling Enhancer, optional for thickening
- 2 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- Sugar topping, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon lime oil
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Cake: Beat together the butter, sugar, and salt till smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the baking powder, then add the flour alternately with the milk, starting
and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Stir in the grated lime rind or lime oil.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 25 to 33 minutes, or until the top is starting to brown
and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Glaze: While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the lime juice
and sugar. Set it aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. Use a skewer or toothpick
to poke the top all over. Don't poke all the way to the bottom of the pan; just
about halfway down.
- Stir the glaze to combine, and immediately brush it onto the hot cake; be
generous. Let it sink in for about 5 minutes, then brush on more glaze, continuing
until all the glaze is used up.
- If you're using the optional sugar topping, shake the coarse sugar in a
jar with the lime oil, until well combined.
- Sprinkle the sugar atop the glazed
cake, gently pressing it in with your fingers.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing.
- Raspberry Sauce: Stir together completely thawed raspberries
with pie filling enhancer (if you're using it), and sugar to taste.
- Serve squares of cake with a dollop of raspberry sauce on the side.
Hands-on time: 20 30 min | Baking time: 30 to 35 min
Yield: about 2 dozen servings
Want to dress this cake up for St. Patrick's Day? Add green gel paste food color
to the batter until it's as green as you like, then bake.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
King Arthur Flour
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes