Red Devil's Food Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot coffee or water
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Mix cocoa into coffee or water and then stir in red food coloring. Beat
into creamed mixture.
- Sift together salt, baking soda and cake flour.
- Add sifted dry ingredients to creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Turn into greased 13 x 9-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees F until wooden
pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Frost with favorite frosting, if wished.
Yield: 12 servings
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine April 2001.
Source: Los Angeles Times 12-22-96
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes