Red Velvet Cake with Black Walnuts
Such decadence is what has made red velvet cake so popular recently. And the
simple addition of Black Walnuts takes this regal cake to new heights!
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup black walnuts, chopped
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or with electric hand mixer beat
together shortening, sugar and eggs.
- Sift together flour, salt and cocoa.
- Add sifted mixture and buttermilk a little at a time alternating between
wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in the Black Walnuts, vanilla extract, food coloring and
- Fill two 8-inch round cake pans lined with parchment paper or nonstick
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Top with either a vanilla buttercream or cream cheese frosting. Press
additional toasted black walnuts into the side or sprinkle on top.
Recipe and photo credit: Hammons Black Walnuts