Revanie (Greek Yogurt Cake)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 slice lemon
- 1 slice orange
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, thickly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- Combine water, sugar, lemon and orange slices in small saucepan. Cook at
a slow boil until clear and syrupy. Set aside.
- Mix and sift flour and baking powder.
- Add sugar to eggs gradually, beating constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Stir in yogurt.
- Add orange rind and flour-baking powder mixture; mix until smooth.
- Pour into an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes; remove. Cake will have a delicate
- Pour cool syrup slowly over hot cake until absorbed; cool. Cut cake diagonally
into diamond shapes.
- Serve plain or garnished with diced orange sections, whipped cream, toasted
almonds, chopped pistachio nuts or whatever else you desire.