Rhubarb Cake with Rhubarb Sauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups rhubarb
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13 x 9-inch pan.
- In large bowl, beat together sugar, brown sugar and butter.
- Add vanilla extract and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating until well combined.
- Spoon 2/3 batter into pan, spreading evenly.
- Spoon rhubarb over batter.
- Top with remaining batter, spreading evenly, carefully.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Sauce: In medium saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil,
stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender.
- Refrigerate sauce until cool.
- Serve over cake.
Yield: 12 servings