Rhubarb Cake with Streusel Topping
and Vanilla Butter Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
Vanilla Butter Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture
alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moist.
- Fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick comes
out clean and the cake is lighy golden brown.
- For sauce, melt butter, sugar and milk in a small saucepan over about medium
heat. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Serve the warm sauce over slices of warm cake.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings