Rhubarb Nut Streusel Cake
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in medium sauce. Stir in rhubarb. Cook
and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Cool and
- Stir together milk and vinegar; set aside.
- Combine flour and remaining 3/4 cup sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and set 1/2 cup of mixture aside.
- To remainder add baking powder, baking soda and nuts.
- Combine egg and milk mixture and add to dry ingredients, stir until just
- Spread 2/3 of the batter over the bottom and sides of prepared springform
- Spoon rhubarb filling over batter.
- Drop remaining batter over rhubarb by
spoonful; sprinkle with reserved streusel mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes.