Rosemary Apple Cake
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 to 3 apples (peeled, quartered and cored)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- Sweetened whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Melt butter with brown sugar over medium heat in a small saucepan, stirring.
- Stir in rum.
- Pour sugar mixture into cake pan, spreading evenly.
- Cut apples lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Decoratively arrange enough
apples in one layer to cover sugar mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in rosemary.
- In a large bowl, beat together 6 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup sugar with
an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, yolk and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk. Beat after each addition until just
- Pour batter into cake pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes.
- Invert a plate over cake pan and,
holding pan and plate together with both hands, invert cake onto plate.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Serves 8 to 10.