Sauerkraut Apple Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tart apple
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whipping cream, divided
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped walnuts (optional)
- Cake: In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugars; set aside.
- Squeeze sauerkraut until dry; finely chop and add to egg mixture.
- Peel and finely grate apple; squeeze dry. Stir into egg mixture.
- Add oil and walnuts.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; stir
into egg mixture.
- Line the bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans with wax paper; grease and
flour paper and sides of pan. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons cream in a small
mixing bowl. Add sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add orange peel, cinnamon and vanilla extract; mix well.
- Add remaining cream if needed.
- Spread between layers and over entire cake. Garnish with chopped walnuts
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings