Spanish Bar Cake
This is the cake that the old A & P Grocery Stores used to sell.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add water to raisins and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add shortening and allow to cool.
- Sift together sugar, baking soda, flour, spices and salt and add nuts.
- To dry ingredients, add cooled raisin mixture and blend well.
- Add beaten eggs and stir well.
- Bake in two 13 x 10-inch pans for 35 minutes.
- Frost with confectioners' sugar icing if desired.