Starlight Double-Delight Cake
Helen Weston s 1951 Grand Prize winner uses a unique technique: some of the frosting is blended with the cake batter before it's baked, yielding a superbly moist, rich cake.
- 2 (3-ounces) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST All-Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup margarine, vanilla extract
and peppermint extract; blend until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar alternately with
hot water, beating until smooth. Add chocolate; blend well.
- In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and 1/4 cup
margarine; blend well.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool for 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, top side down, on serving plate.
- Spread with about 1/4 of frosting.
- Top with second layer, top side up.
- Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Store in the refrigerator.
High Altitude Instructions: Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups; use 1 1/2 cups of frosting
mixture in cake. Bake as directed above.
Recipe credit: Pillsbury.