Strawberry-Layered Coconut Cream Cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 baked round yellow cake layers (8- or 9-inch diameter)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries, divided
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted and cooled, divided
- To make filling, in mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and vanilla extract on
medium speed until creamy.
- Add confectioners' sugar, and beat until incorporated.
- On low speed, gradually add cream, beating until smooth. Increase speed to medium;
beat until mixture is thick and fluffy. (Mixture should be the consistency of
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on cake plate or round serving platter.
- Spoon 1 cup filling over cake, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Arrange 1 cup strawberries on top, overlapping, if necessary.
- Spoon an additional 3/4 cup filling over strawberries, being careful not to move strawberries around.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup of the toasted coconut; top with second cake layer.
- Spoon remaining filling over top, spreading slightly to smooth.
- Sprinkle with remaining coconut; garnish with remaining strawberries.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour to firm before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings