Sweet Potato Chocolate Nut Cake
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and pureed to equal 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup melted chocolate
- Combine potatoes, oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients that have been mixed together.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Mix chocolate with 1/3 of batter.
- Pour some batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch
pan and swirl chocolate batter in to give it a marbleized effect.
- Add remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour 10 minutes.
Source: Victory Garden - 11-3-99