Sweet Potato Layer Cake with
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 pounds tan-skinned sweet potatoes (3 medium)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 7 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced candied orange peel
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Cake: Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce potatoes with fork; place on small baking sheet. Roast potatoes until
soft, about 1 hour.
- Cool, peel, and mash potatoes. Measure 2 cups mashed potatoes; cool to lukewarm
(reserve any remaining potatoes for another use).
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides; line
pans with parchment.
- Sift flour and next 6 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Combine oil, 1 cup sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in eggs 1 at a time, then mashed sweet potatoes.
- Whisk in flour mixture in 3 additions.
- Stir in 2/3 cup walnuts and 2/3 cup cranberries.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool cakes completely in pans on racks.
- Frosting: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large
bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in powdered sugar, scraping down bowl often.
- Beat in orange juice concentrate and vanilla extract.
- Cut around pan sides; turn out cakes. Peel off parchment.
- Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter. Spread 3/4 cup frosting over.
- Top with second cake layer, flat side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Combine orange peel, 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, and
1/4 cup cranberries in small bowl. Stir to coat with sugar.
- Transfer to sieve; sift off excess sugar.
- Sprinkle fruit and nut mixture decoratively atop cake.
- Chill until frosting sets, at least 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover
with cake dome; keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 12/11/2001 8:14 am.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes