Texas Oatmeal Cake
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream, evaporated milk or half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream sugars and butter until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, then soaked oatmeal and remaining dry ingredients. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Icing: Melt butter in a saucepan, then mix in remaining ingredients. Spread
on cake when it's still warm from the oven.
- Slip frosted cake under broiler for a few minutes to get the topping bubbly and brown.