Texas Tornado Cake
A made-from-scratch cake, it is sweet and delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fruit cocktail including the liquid*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
* You can also use 1 cup canned peaches and 1 cup canned pears cut into large
dice, fruit cocktail or pineapple.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch cake
pan (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and eggs together until fluffy.
- Mix in whatever 2 cups fruit and their liquid that you are using.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the fruit cocktail mixture.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and nuts onto the surface of the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the cake comes
- After about 30 minutes start the topping. Gently boil the butter, milk and
sugar for 2 minutes then add the coconut. The cake should now be ready.
- Spoon hot topping over the cake as soon as it is removed from the oven.
- Let the cake cool before cutting it.