Topa Topa Tangerine Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated tangerine rind
- 1/3 cup tangerine juice
- 1 1/4 cups pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Tangerine Curd Filling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tangerine rind
- 1/4 cup tangerine juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Tangerine Lemon Frosting
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons tangerine juice
- 1 tablespoon tangerine rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Cake: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff, then add yolks, one
at a time and beat well.
- Add sugar gradually beating it in.
- Stir in grated rind and juice.
- Fold in flour, powder and salt.
- Bake in two 8-inch pans (with parchment paper greased and floured on the
bottom), at 325 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, until springy to the touch.
- Run a knife around the outside edge of the cake recipes, and invert on cooling
- Tangerine Curd Filling: Put sugar, flour and salt in top of a double boiler
over medium heat and mix together thoroughly.
- Add rind and tangerine juice.
- Add butter and egg yolk, stir and cook until smooth and thick.
- Remove from fire, and slowly add lemon juice. Spread curd between cake layers.
- Tangerine Lemon Frosting: Combine all of the ingredients except the extract
and the rind in the top of a double boiler. In the bottom of the double boiler,
bring the water to a simmer. Place the top pan over the simmering water and
beat with a hand-held mixer on medium speed for three minutes, then on high
speed for three minutes.
- Remove the top pan from the heat and add the lemon extract. Beat for one
minute longer or until the whites are satiny and hold stiff peaks.
- Stir in the rind.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 8/12/02 6:24:47 am.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes